Thursday, September 11, 2008

Whatever Happened to Visionary Leadership

Looking at the landscape of Africa, I think we see a dearth of leaderhip to say the least. Non-profit organizations, usually groups from outside the continent, have taken the lead in distributing food, medicine and other essentials of life.

This got me thinking about what leadership truly is. At one point, it was a visionary person who had an idea that somehow, someway people believed in. The common practice of leadership is the leader convenes a group, gathers ideas from the group and lets the group set the course. Is that really leadership?

If I remember my research correctly, humans in a group score six points lower on intelligence tests than individuals. Does group think dumb down ideas?

In my experience, it does.

Visionary leaders needed. Does anyone have a job description?

No comments: