Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Marriage and Bristol Palin

First and foremost, I want to say that I am a big fan of marriage. After getting married this past February, I cannot imagine my life without being married to Marybeth. She is patient, kind and caring (she had to be to, in her words, "hitch her wagon to my star". I am not saying marriage is easy but it is totally worth it!

Reading the media coverage about Bristol Palin's pregnancy, I don't want to concentrate on her pregnancy because well, that is already done. What bothered me was Sarah Palin announcing that Bristol and the boyfriend(Levi?) would be getting married. I didn't read a date announced on that though.

What?

While the birth of a child is a wonderful event no matter the circumstance that surrounds the birth, a child, at least in my opinion, is NOT a good enough reason to get married especially at age 17!

Two of my friends were seriously dating and she became pregnant. He proposed and she said no because she wanted to make sure he was going to be faithful to her before she would get married. I think she had the right idea.

I hope Bristol Palin gets married because she loves her boyfriend not because of being pregnant. Marriage is wonderful and difficult and should be entered into soberly not as a reaction.

1 comment:

Jonathan Starr said...

Interesting post... Palin's daughter's love life should probably be out of scope in terms of the election, in my opinion, though.