Friday, August 10, 2007

What the...

In a serious departure from my usual blogging, I came across this article the other day:

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2007/08/08/
rev_al_sharpton_leads_protest_over_degra

You have GOT to be kidding me.....while I do not support music that is degrading to anyone even though I do support anyone's rights to say whatever they like, does he remember 2 Live Crew? Al, this started back in the 80's. If you are truly outraged about this ongoing problem in American society, why did it take you almost 20 years to say something about it?

Whatever happened to be on the cutting edge of what ails our society?

I guess it takes Mr. Sharpton quite a few years to find that edge....

1 comment:

Jonathan Starr said...

That's the fine line we tread when we try to balance freedom of speech with irresponsible and frankly vulgar forms of expression. The pendulum has certainly swung away from the indivual's right for free speech after the attacks of 9-11 in my opinion. There are many example to cite, but the wiretapping of citizens' private phone without a warrant comes to mind.