Tuesday, May 15, 2007

It's About Africa

Growing up in white, middle-class America, you would not expect me at 37 to say life is all about Africa. It is. There is no way to escape what is going on there even though we in the U.S. want desperately to think this doesn't affect us.
After visiting South Africa a few years ago, the images still live with me. The extreme poverty that I encountered versus the extreme fortune shocked me even more than it does here in the U.S. I expected to see this difference in my home country but the abject poverty vs. insane wealth that I experienced in Africa cannot be fathomed unless you have visited there.
If we don't put even a small part of our income toward solving the multiple problems of Africa, this will continue growing exponentially. I encourage everyone to take 10 dollars this week (one easy way to do this is bring your lunch from home one or two days extra this week!)and send it to Nothing But Nets at nothingbutnets.org. You can sponsor a treated net that will help protect sleeping children from being bitten by mosquitoes carrying malaria. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will match you net for net. (No matter what we feel about Microsoft. That is a post for another time.) You could possibly save two lives for 10 dollars. What better way to start?
It's about Africa kids....

No comments: